Over 6 years of experience in freelance translator’s job.
Professional communication skills include fluency in English, Russian, Macedonian, Serbian, Croatian and Latvian language.
Working as a freelance translator with companies from India, Latvia, United Kingdom and United States of America
Bachelor of Science, Economics, majored in Empirical Analyses, but worked mainly as a manager and a chief accountant in startups. Experience in international finance and trade. Technical, legal and marketing translations. languages as the second most prominent talent, IT as the third, which makes perfect mixture for a modern translator. Business background enables me to be proactive and to understand what the client really needs. IT makes me able to handle it all. Translated my first book at 23 and have translated on and off ever since.
Management, Training and Translation Experience with many local and international institutions, donors, private businesses and NGOs.
Managed several projects, and able to deliver interactive training with participant based learning.
Although I was born in Croatia and lived here for the first 8 years of my life, my family then moved to the Netherlands where I continued my education entirely in English, culminating in a 3 year BA at the University for the Creative Arts (Maidstone, England).
My English is at the level of a native speaker, because I spent most of my life living abroad and completed my entire education in English. Therefore, I can guarantee that my translations are true to the spirit of both English and Croatian.
I grew up in Russia and moved to Croatia in my teenage years to continue my education there. As a result, I am fluent in both languages, as well as English. I am very dedicated and disciplined towards my passion of translation.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Familiar with CAT translation software tools such as Memsource and SDL Trados
Able to fluently speak Russian (native), Croatian (also native) and English.
Excellent communication and social skills. Able to work to tight deadlines. Highly skilled in Microsoft Office. Have working experience in subtitling and proofreading-related tasks. Localization of several Android games and website localization. Willing to work under pressure and prioritize work.
Educative and training skills. Potential to work as a professional in Croatia and abroad where English or German language is being learned as a foreign language. The mix of language learning, culture and literature enables a variety of cultural mediation roles – the capability of facilitating relationships between Croatian and foreign citizens both at home and abroad. The acquired skills enable professions that include educators, interpreters or organizers of cultural and educational events, as well as project management to cultural organizations, small and large businesses, the public sector, NGOs and language education. High level of communication and writing skills and creativity necessary for the development and implementation of successful and innovative projects both at home and in an international environment. Analytical, conceptual and critical skills that enable one to operate effectively in diverse fields of employment.
Native language(s): Italian and Croatian (bilingual)
Working languages: English, Italian, Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian, Portuguese, Spanish, French
Specializations: Translation, Proofreading, Editing, Transcription
- Legal (Contracts, Patents, Certificates, Court Documents)
- Business (General, Marketing, Annual Reports, Financial)
- Medical (Clinical Trials, Labels, Medical Reports)
- Technical (Engineering, Electronics, Automotive, Marine, Software, IT)
- Social Sciences (Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science)
- Media (Advertising, Subtitling, Correspondence, Entertainment, Photography)
- Culture, Music and Art
Capacity: Translation: 3000 words per day; Proofreading/Editing: 7000 words per day
- Twenty years of experience with translation, proofreading, editing, interpretation, subtitling and quality management; sixteen years working as Freelance Translator
- Daily projects for several dozens of clients in Europe, U.S., South America, Australia and South Africa
- Ongoing collaboration with the European Parliament and European Commission in Brussels – target languages: CROATIAN, ENGLISH, ITALIAN
- Ongoing collaboration with the US Department of the Interior
- Project Manager for Targem Translations and Publications (New York, USA) since 2014
- Extensive time living in Italy, UK, USA, France, Spain and Portugal, deep and varied knowledge of regional, cultural and language differences.
- Extraordinary attention to detail, grammar, punctuation, quality element, formatting and client specifications on every job; exceptional organizational and prioritization skills
- Unconditional respect of deadlines, accuracy and high-quality work
- Freelance translator and interpreter since 1999 (ongoing)
- August 2014 - January 2016: Project Manager for Targem Translations, New York, U.S.
- 2010 – Creator and Head of the English Learning Project “English in Music”, adopted by the Italian Ministry of Public Education and implemented in the entire territory of the Republic of Italy (ongoing)
- 2008-2010 – Head of Public Relations / Foreign Affairs, Alternative Way Art, Italy
- 2008-2010 – Head of Foreign Affairs, Barito Srl, Italy
- 2011, PhD in Translation Studies, University of Bologna, Italy
- 2004, MSc in Comparative Literature, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- 2001, BA in Language and Civilization Studies (English, Portuguese), University of Zagreb, Croatia
- 2000, MA in Piano Performance and Piano Didactics, University of Zagreb, Croatia - University of Aveiro, Portugal
Society Dante Alighieri, Rome, Italy – Translation specialization IT>ENG>CRO (2007)
Portlingua - Association of Translators and Interpreters, Lisbon, Portugal – Translation specialization PORT>ENG>IT>CRO (2000)
British Council, London, UK – English culture and language courses, member since 1995
Ongoing collaborations (selection):
US Department of the Interior, European Parliament (Brussels), Tampa Bay Translations USA, Targem Translations USA, DKP Image+Media USA, CTS Language Link USA, Professional Translations Inc. UK, European Parliament Brussels/Strasbourg, European Commission in Brussels, Amidas d.o.o. Slovenia, SW19 Translations London UK, Global Translators UK, Dynamic Translations di Elisa Campana IT, The World Bank Organization, Cuttingedge Translations UK, Best Quality Translations New York, All Languages Services New Delhi, Parliament of the Republic of Croatia, Enrico Honnorat Translations South Africa, Croatian Writers' Association, Croatian Composers' Society, International Music Institute, Cultural Association A. Toscanini Italy, Alternative Way Art Italy, Barito S.R.L. Italy, Travel Agency Terra Sancta, Croatian Institute of Vehicles, Institute of Social Sciences Ivo Pilar, International Organ Festival Gospic, International Music Festival Gospic, Erasmus Editions, European Congress of Authors and Composers, British Council Association, LearningEnglish.com
- Proficient in all MS Office and Adobe applications and other key programs including Photoshop, Word, Excel, PDF and Quark
- Proficient in Trados (SDL Trados 2014)
- Proficient in Translators Workspace
- Proficient in SmartCAT
- Comfortable with Wordfast
- Excellent troubleshooting abilities with the above programs including formatting and compatibility issues
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Solihull
I am not your average translator. I am a bilingual and bicultural translator of Croatian and English with a thorough understanding of both cultures, having grown up and been educated in both Croatia and the UK.
I’ve held commercial roles in marketing, tourism, hospitality and the civil service, so my background, while extensive, isn’t traditional. However, it allows me to fully grasp the challenges of business and marketing and offer language solutions that are relevant and effective.
I have over ten years experience in translation, localisation, editing and proofreading of advertising materials, website content, academic papers, legal document and business reports. Please take a look at my CV for a summary of my experience and the reputable companies I have worked with.